How to fix a lazy eye
Each patient with a binocular vision disorder has a unique story, and so requires a unique treatment. There are many options for treating strabismus, amblyopia, and convergence insufficiency: eye patching, eye drops, vision therapy, surgery, and eye exercises. There's also VR vision therapy, where the treatment can be done at home using a virtual reality headset. Every patient will need a unique combination of treatment options for the best chance at success.
The first step is always to find a vision therapy doctor and get a consultation.
Using VR for lazy eye treatment
Typically vision therapy doctors will start with in-office activities combined with at-home eye patching and/or activities. Many doctors are now offering virtual reality activities for both the clinic and home.
Here's how VR is used for vision therapy:
1. Start with a virtual reality world and split the scene into two images -- one for the strong eye and one for the weak eye.
2. Next, decrease the signal strength of objects in the strong eye and increase it for the weak eye to make it easier for them to work together. Each week the patient needs a little less help, so the difference between the eyes gets smaller and smaller.
3. With practice, the two eyes learn how to team up and work together.
4. As the patient progresses, the goal is to no longer need any modification of images to combine them and see in depth all the time.
The possibilities for the virtual worlds and eye exercises are endless! In Vivid Vision Home, you can fly a spaceship to reduce supression of the weak eye, play basketball to work on eye-hand coordination, control a cute chicken to work on convergence, play ping pong to improve saccades and eye tracking, and more!
You may also be interested in these blog posts:
- What is the difference between Amblyopia and Strabismus?
- What is Lazy Eye?
- What causes lazy eye?
- Vision Therapy Success Stories: Jillian
- Vision Therapy Success Stories: Clayton
If you are interested in trying Vivid Vision, find a vision therapy doctor now.Find a Provider eye doctor strabismus amblyopia lazy eye eye patch how to fix a lazy eye vision therapy patching convergence insufficiency binocular vision vision and learning